Saturday, December 31, 2011

Day 4: lots of green!

Happy New Years!

Well, almost.

I started this New Year's Eve off with some Elixir of the Lake as I made my green juice this morning. Yes, this is the day I'm transitioning to a juice feast. One gallon of juice per person each day is what's normally recommended, so that's what I'm shooting for. Here's what I put into my first gallon:

2 cucumbers
3 lemons
2 red bell peppers
1 bunch of collards
1 bunch of parsley
2 heads of celery
about 6 roma tomatoes
2 romaine hearts

You know, even though I've only had some Elixir of the Lake and a couple glasses of green juice, I'm not that hungry. I'm not stuffed and I'm not full. But I'm satisfied. I don't want to eat anything.

Here's what happens after green drinks. :3














I absolutely love getting sun. It feels so good. It's so warm and cozy. And as a side note, I've also noticed that when I get a bunch of sun that I'm not as hungry. It's like I'm feasting on pure, beautiful sunlight. I love these warm days that are so right for getting sun.

I'm headed to some friends' house and so I'm making a gallon to take with me. Here's what's in it:
2 beets with greens and stems
maybe 6-8 apples
a bunch of kale
4 limes (we have a lot--they were on sale)
a head of celery (again, it's on a great sale)
2 pounds of carrots
2 romaine hearts (again rings the refrain "Sale! Sale! Sale!"
And I can't remember putting anything else in.

I'm taking a half gallon of this leaving a half gallon for Jacqueline) and a half gallon of the other drink. So I'll be ringing in the new year with collards and beets! Momma tells me that her mother always said "Eat your beets; they'll make you pretty." It's so fun to be able to start the new year off with a couple traditional "New Year's Day" foods.

If you enjoyed this post, "like" it or share it. And leave a comment below letting me know what you're doing to ring in the new year. I'd love to know. :D

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the delicious juice mixture you left! I was so psyched about the how good the green juice tasted that I bought 2 HUGE bunches of collards since they're 1/2 price until at least midnight. Then, I had another 'hit' of the amazing juice... and went out and bought EIGHT more HUGE bunches of collards before they went off sale. Have them in Laura Lynn boxes 'tented' with plastic bags to help keep moist as the frig is full to overflowing!

    Then I googled why collards are such a traditional 'lucky food' for New Years... especially in the south. Seems that the leaves resemble 'folding money' and are supposed to bring the eaters of collards abundant good fortune in proportion to the quantity of collards consumed. Guess we're off to a really great start!

    ReplyDelete